Whether you’re a weekend warrior or you are committed to a daily workout routine, it’s essential to have the right exercise mat. Some of the most important considerations include size and padding. If you just need a mat to rest your knees on when doing floor exercises, a shorter mat should be fine. However, if you plan on using the mat for high impact cardio workouts, you’ll probably want to go with a larger mat. If space is an issue, consider using floor tiles instead. Some mats offer more padding than others. Many mats have at least a 1/2 inch of padding, although you can find mats with more or less padding.
If you have sensitive skin, look for a mat that isn’t made with latex. Many mats also feature material that’s free from potentially harmful materials such as toxins and silicone. Durability is another consideration. Some mats are designed to withstand the impact of high intensity cardio exercises, even when wearing sneakers. Other mats cater to those who need a softer surface for floor-based exercises.
There’s a wider selection of exercise mats on Amazon if this list doesn’t have what you need. If you need more information regarding how to choose a mat, check out the 6 Different Types of Exercise Mats.
1. HemingWeigh Extra Thick Foam Exercise Mat
If you prefer a bit more padding when you do your exercises, consider this extra thick exercise mat. Aside from additional foam for more support, the mat provides a comfortable workout space that’s 23 inches wide and 73 inches long. A non-slip surface keeps you from sliding around. This mat is also double-sided for added convenience. It also comes with a moisture-resistant surface that cleans up easily. Simply use the integrated carrying straps when it’s time to move the mat. The mat is ideal for yoga, stretching, Pilates, and various exercises.
Price: $23.99 (31 percent off MSRP)
- Thicker padding
- Non-slip surface
- Integrated carrying straps
- Some find it a bit too squishy for exercises that require jumping or running in place
- May need weights on the ends to keep it flat if it’s been rolled up
- A bit heavy
2. Square36 Extra Large Exercise Mat
This exercise mat is designed to be used with and without shoes. It’s built to withstand impacts from cardio workouts but can also be used to protect floors for activities such as using kettle bells and punching bags. The mat is designed with sustainability in mind. As a result, it’s made without potentially harmful materials such as silicone and phthalates. It’s also latex-free. You can use the mat to protect floor surfaces such as hardwood, concrete, carpet, and tile.
Price: $199.99 (26 percent off MSRP)
- Designed to withstand impacts from cardio workouts
- Latex-free material
- Ideal for floor surfaces such as carpet, tile, hardwood, and concrete
- Surface can get a little slippery when wet
- A handful complain of an initial odor
3. SPRI Exercise Mats
A 1/2-inch cushion provides plenty of support and protection for most floor exercise programs. The mat also stands out for its portability and can be rolled up and transported between the home and the gym thanks to a handy built-in handle. Another feature is the durable poly-foam material. The mat is available in three colors.
Price: $18.68 – $39.83
- Provides 1/2-inch cushion
- Made with durable poly-foam material
- Comes in three colors
- May be too narrow for those with wider frames
- A bit short for taller users
- Some question the long-term durability of the carrying handles
4. Rubber Cal Recycled Floor Mat
This eco-conscious floor mat features 100 percent recycled rubber material. It also stands out for its ability to absorb shocks when exercising and even running. You can use the mat for floor-based exercises or to stabilize the area underneath your home exercise equipment. Depending on personal preference, you can choose between the 1/4 or 3/8-inch version. The mat comes in a variety of sizes.
If you’re looking for a more versatile option, consider the Rubber-Cal “Z-Cycle Tiles” Interlocking Rubber Mats.
Price: $30.50 – $180.00
- Made with recycled rubber material
- Ideal for shock absorption
- Available in several sizes
- Some notice an initial odor
- Surface can be tricky to clean
5. Pogamat Anti-Tear Workout And Yoga Mat
The Pogamat Anti-Tear Workout And Yoga Mat is twice as thick as your average yoga mat. In addition to yoga, you can use it for cardio workouts with shoes, ab exercises, and more. Eco-conscious consumers will appreciate that the mat is made without potentially harmful materials such as latex, silicone, and various toxins. This Pogamat comes with a lifetime guarantee.
Price: $109.98 (45 percent off MSRP)
- Twice as thick as a typical yoga mat
- Can handle cardio workouts with shoes
- Comes with a lifetime guarantee
- Some find that it can move during high intensity cardio workouts
- Surface can get a bit slippery when wet
- A handful of users wish it had more padding
6. IncStores – Tatami Foam Tiles
Foam tiles are a versatile choice for your home gym, especially if you have a limited amount of space. Each piece can be used as a center, corner, or border. Additionally, the tiles are constructed with a durable and lightweight EVA foam material. You can choose between two reversible colors to find the best match for your home. These tiles feature a one year warranty and are designed to absorb shock from activities such as karate, MMA, grappling, and Taekwondo.
Price: $34.90 – $343.90
- Ideal for smaller spaces
- Available in two reversible colors
- Comes with a one year warranty
- Surface is a bit slippery, especially when wet
- Prone to indentations from heavier objects such as fitness equipment
- Can slide during more intense cardio activities
7. Sunny Health & Fitness Tri-Fold Exercise Mat
If you’re looking for an exercise mat that can travel with you and is easy to store, consider this folding mat. The mat folds up into three sections yet lies flat when you’re using it. Handles are included to help transport it or put it away for safe storage. This mat features a 2-inch thickness, providing ample support and comfort for a wide range of floor-based exercises. In addition to floor exercises, you can also use this mat for yoga and Pilates.
Price: $22.43 (36 percent off MSRP)
- Folds for easy storage and travel
- Handles are sewn in for carrying
- Two inches thick
- Can slide around on hardwood floors
- Surface is a bit soft for jumping and other cardio workouts
- Some wish it absorbed noises better
8. ProSource Puzzle Exercise Mat
The ProSource Puzzle Exercise Mat includes six tiles and 12 end borders. It also stands out for its versatility, as it can be used for home fitness rooms as well as for exercise equipment. The mat spans 24 feet and is easy to assemble and disassemble. Other highlights include a water-resistant material and a design that helps to reduce noise. High-density EVA foam provides ample cushion and support, especially for floor-based exercises. The mat is constructed without toxic phthalates. It’s also 1/2-inch thick and is available in several colors.
- Ideal for home fitness and exercise equipment
- Total size is 24 feet
- Water-resistant material
- Heavier objects can leave marks and indentations
- Smooth surface can get slippery with socks
- A bit thin
9. Everlast 2’x6′ Folding Mat
Highlights of this exercise mat include a non-absorbent shell that cleans up easily along with a sewn-in handle for quick and simple transportation. The mat has 5/8-inch bonded foam for additional comfort and support. It’s also available in two colors. This mat measures 24 inches wide and 72 inches long when it’s lying flat.
- Non-absorbent shell cleans up easily
- Sewn-in handle for efficient transportation
- Available in two colors
- Surface can get slippery when wet
- Doesn’t roll up or compress
- A few mention a slight initial chemical smell
10. Beachbody Core Comfort Mat
The Beachbody Core Comfort Mat caters to those who want a bit more padding for floor exercises. The extra cushioning protects wrists and knees so that you can complete planks, crunches, push-ups, and similar movements without discomfort. Despite its thick padding, the mat is easy to roll up and carry. A ribbed exterior keeps the mat from sliding during high impact training.
- Ribbed exterior keeps mat from sliding
- Extra cushioning protects wrists, knees, and spine
- Easy to transport
- Contains natural rubber latex, which can cause an allergic reaction
- Shorter than a typical yoga mat
Heavy, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by linking to Amazon. Our product recommendations are guided solely by our editors. We have no relationship with manufacturers.