Whether you’re new to cooking or are a seasoned chef, you need the right frying pan for your kitchen. Some of the most important factors include the overall size and weight of the pan in addition to the materials it’s made with. Pans made with materials such as cast iron and hard-anodized aluminum tend to be heavier. Most frying pans feature a nonstick coating. This type of surface is ideal for preventing food from sticking and typically requires less oil for cooking. Common sizes include 8-inch and 10-inch pans along with the larger 12-inch frying pan.
When you’re shopping for a frying pan, keep in mind whether you prefer one with a lid. The handle is also important. Many handles are riveted for enhanced durability. Several also feature a material that stays cool to the touch, even when the pan is hot. Some frying pans are safe for induction cooktops. Additionally, you can safely place most frying pans in the oven. However, the recommended oven temperature limit can vary greatly.
Looking for something else? Shop more frying pans on Amazon to browse a wider selection.
1. T-fal E93808 Professional Total Nonstick Thermo-Spot Heat Indicator Fry Pan
One distinctive feature of this frying pan is its Thermo-Spot indicator, which lets you know when the pan is precisely preheated for cooking. You can use metal utensils on the scratch-resistant nonstick surface. This frying pan is safe for every cooking method, including induction. A durable stainless steel disc promotes even heat distribution and won’t warp during use.
Price: $23.11 (5 percent off MSRP)
- Thermo-Spot indicator signals when pan is pre-heated
- Scratch-resistant nonstick surface
- Ideal for all types of cooking, including induction
- A few mention it’s best to wait until the pan has fully cooled before washing to keep it from losing its shape
- Slightly convex shape can cause grease and other liquids to pool around the edges
- Some find that the nonstick surface can get scratched when using metal utensils
Find more T-fal E93808 Professional Total Nonstick Thermo-Spot Heat Indicator Fry Pan information and reviews here.
2. WaxonWare 11 Inch Non Stick Frying Pan
You’ll pay a bit more up front for this frying pan, which features a nonstick ceramic coating made with natural stone and granite for durability. A table mat is included. The stay-cool silicone handle won’t burn your hands when you move the pan. An electromagnetic induction bottom ensures even heat distribution and prevents warping. You can use the pan on all cooking surfaces, including induction. Although it’s listed as dishwasher safe, the manufacturer recommends hand washing for best results.
- Durable nonstick coating made of granite and natural stone
- Stay-cool handle
- Warp-resistant electromagnetic bottom
- Food can get stuck to the bolt heads
- Should be washed by hand
3. Utopia Kitchen Aluminum Nonstick Frying Pan Set
If you’re looking for an affordable frying pan set, consider this option. The set includes an 8-inch, 9.5-inch, and 11-inch frying pan. Each pan has a dual layer nonstick interior that’s durable and scratch-resistant. Additionally, the pans are safe to use for all types of cooking except induction. The handles offer protection against hot oven temperatures and feature a comfortable grip.
Price: $22.99 (54 percent off MSRP)
- Set includes three pans
- Durable dual layer nonstick interior
- Safe for all types of cooking except induction
- A handful of complaints that the bottoms can warp over time
- A few mention the cooking surface is smaller than indicated
- Some question the long-term durability
4. Tramontina Professional Restaurant Fry Pan
A riveted cast stainless steel handle provides a solid yet comfortable grip. This frying pan also has a removable silicone sleeve for added convenience. Despite its professional-level heavy gauge aluminum construction, the pan is equally suited for beginners and more advanced chefs. A durable nonstick coating keeps food from getting stuck and requires less oil when cooking. The pan is available in a wide range of sizes.
- Riveted cast stainless steel handle
- Includes removable silicone sleeve
- Durable nonstick coating
- Rivets can attract food and be tough to clean
- Shouldn’t be used on anything higher than medium heat
- Doesn’t come with a lid
These top pressure cookers appeal to cooks of all levels and budgets.
5. Calphalon 1943335 2 Piece Classic Nonstick Fry Pan Set
This Calphalon Classic frying pan set includes skillets with a nonstick surface and a hard-anodized aluminum construction for enhanced durability and even heating. Long stainless steel handles let you grip the pans and move them without getting hands too close to the heat. Flared edges, paired with gently sloped sides, make the pans a solid choice for sauteing vegetables, cooking omelettes, and more. Each pan is oven safe up to 450 degrees.
- Hard-anodized aluminum construction
- Long stainless steel handles offer more surface area for gripping
- Oven safe up to 450 degrees
- Don’t come with lids
- Smaller pan lacks a helper handle
- Not dishwasher safe
6. 12″ Stone Earth Frying Pan by Ozeri
Enjoy the durability and performance of a stone-derived coating while keeping potentially harmful chemicals such as PFOA out of your food. This frying pan comes with a durable scratch-resistant coating that promotes smooth release of any food you might be cooking and cleans up easily. A magnetic base ensures quick heat transfer. A heat-resistant handle keeps hands from burning during cooking. This pan is available in three sizes.
Price: $38.95 (51 percent off MSRP)
- Stone-derived coating from Germany
- Made without PFOA and other potentially harmful chemicals
- Magnetic base ensures rapid heat transfer
- Nonstick coating may wear off over time
- Handle bolts can trap food
- Doesn’t have a helper handle
7. Nuwave Perfect Green 12 Inch Skillet Fry Pan
This 12-inch frying pan has plenty of room to cook larger quantities of food at once. Highlights include a hard-anodized aluminum body for durability along with a nonstick ceramic coating that prevents food from sticking. The pan is made without potentially harmful materials such as PFOA and PTFE. This pan comes with a long handle and will work on any type of stove.
- Ideal for cooking large quantities of food
- Hard-anodized aluminum body
- Nonstick ceramic coating
- Doesn’t come with a lid
- Nonstick coating can wear off over time
- Some say heat isn’t distributed evenly
8. Cook N Home 02499 8″ and 10″ Frying Pan Set
This frying pan set includes an 8-inch and 10-inch frying pan. A 12-inch pan, sold separately, is also available. Highlights include a nonstick coating for food release and easy clean up. The pans have a lead-free and cadmium coating. Heavy gauge material promotes heat conductivity for more control over the food you cook. The bottom is particularly designed for use on an induction range or cooktop. The pans are dishwasher safe and feature a silicone handle for protection against the heat.
Price: $29.99 (25 percent off MSRP)
- Set includes 8-inch and 10-inch pans
- Made with lead-free material
- Designed for use on induction surfaces
- Some consumers received pans with loose handles
- A few mention the bottom of the pan is slightly raised, which can cause oil to run off to the sides
- Not broiler-safe
9. Cuisinart CIL22-20BB CastLite Non-Stick Cast Iron Fry Pan
Despite its lightweight construction, the Cuisinart frying pan offers the same performance and durability as your average cast iron pan. For example, it features a nonstick coating exclusively for cast iron. The riveted stainless steel handle is designed to stay cool even when the pan gets hot. As an added bonus, this pan is induction compatible and comes with a lifetime warranty. It’s also dishwasher safe.
- Stay cool riveted stainless steel handle
- Induction ready
- Comes with a lifetime warranty
- Several note it does best when washed by hand
- A handful of consumers mention that the nonstick coating can wear off over time
- Some wish the cooking surface was larger
10. Copper Chef 10″ Round Pan with Lid
One distinctive feature of this set is the fact that each pan comes with a lid. A stainless steel induction plate promotes speedy and even cooking. Each pan is heat resistant up to 850 degrees Fahrenheit and is free from potentially harmful materials such as PTFE and PFOA. A nonstick coating lets you cook with less oil and keeps food from sticking. Each pan is individually wrapped.
If you don’t need a set, consider the similar 9.5-inch Copper Chef Square Fry Pan with Lid.
- Each pan includes a lid
- Stainless steel induction plate for fast, easy cooking
- Oven safe up to 850 degrees Fahrenheit
- Handles feel a bit flimsy
- Spots can appear if not thoroughly dried
- Should be hand washed with a mild detergent and non-abrasive sponge for best results
Heavy, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by linking to Amazon. Our product recommendations are guided solely by our editors. We have no relationship with manufacturers.